Monday, March 11, 2013


Shalom everyone!!!! This is my third blog post already. Can you believe it?  Well, just for the people jumping on the band wagon, this blog is about my journey learning Hebrew.  Well, now you are up to speed.  If you are still confused, then by all means, read the earlier posts.  I suggest it actually.  I have read some people’s blogs and was very confused.  If you experience a similar problem, do the hard thing and read the whole blog.    

So this week, I finished the lessons on the Hebrew letters on Ancient Hebrew.com.  It was very exciting.  I had already had an idea of what these letters were, due to about three years in Hebrew school.  Unfortunately, while I was going to Hebrew school, I was only there every other week.  Now, I have learned all letters.  During this week, I had an epiphany.  Why not write down the letters you just learned, and maybe some vocabulary? That way, you can go back to and study these.  Thus, the “Ian Wilenzik’s Book of Hebrew Practice” was born.

Isn't it glorious?
 
Using this book, I wrote down letters and vowels, and some vocab I would need.  I have some notes pertaining to the Hebrew language.  Also, my research on Israel and Israeli culture started this week.  I found some great sources, which I will share the fifth week.  Did you know that Israel had a female prime minister already?

This week I simply practiced.  I am getting close to mastering them.  Next week gets more interesting.  On Rosetta Stone, the next lesson is on greetings and conversation.  I will soon be able to complete a conversation with a Hebrew speaking person.

Cool fact for the day: In Hebrew, verbs are either masculine or feminine, but they are never neutral.  WHAT?!?!?!

So, with that note, I sign off.  Shalom!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I am glad to see you making such great progress, keep up the good work! The “Ian Wilenzik’s Book of Hebrew Practice” is a great idea. Whenever you have some free time I would suggest you take a look at it, or jot down some new vocab. I am excited to see you doing some talking, and perhaps begin to have basic conversations. As for that fact about verbs, are they accompanied by a masculine or feminine word, such as the French le and la? Keep up the good work, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, I hope your project is going well right now. I can imagine you talking while reading this blog, so your voice is definitely set. I love the idea of "Ian Wilenzik's Book of Hebrew Practice" and think its a wonderful idea. I hope you will record some videos of you starting to talk as you continue to learn. I also have one suggestion. I hope that in the future, you will go a bit more into detail about what you have learned. That way, those that want to learn Hebrew will be able to learn with you. Overall, I am happy to see your progress. I hope it continues to go well, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I-an! You have made much progress, young padawan. Honestly, all through hebrew school, I could not bear to push through learning hebrew. I'm quite surprised that you're managing to do it, and have fun doing it at the same time. Keep persevering, sir Ian! Learn that hebrew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your approach to learning Hebrew is really good. By writing everything that you have learned down in a book you are able to create a custom learning textbook! I think this will help you a lot in the future! If you ever forget what you learned, and you wanted to pick it back up in the future, you can use your book to teach yourself.

    Do you know anyone who speaks Hebrew who you could have a conversation with, after you complete your Rosetta Stone lesson next week? Sometimes, being able to use your language in a real-world situation helps.

    Good luck with your Hebrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ian I am the one who is “jumping on the bandwagon” so to speak, and I’m happy to say that I’m glad that I did. I love how you were able to incorporate your cultural heritage into your genius project, and how you are pursuing a past interest of yours that you have just not gotten around to pursuing. If I had to offer one suggestion, I would say that , especially for Hebrew, you should work on your pronunciation, perhaps even more than the written aspect. From my limited experience with Hebrew from Sunday school, I know that if one does not get all of the “heekkkk’s” and the “houchkkkk’s” correct, then that spells trouble, or sounds trouble in this case. I also think that you should attempt to learn more about your culture or about Israel if you intend to communicate with those who live there and are of a similar ethnic background. Such research can also be used as part of your TED talk. I hope this has been helpful.

    Sincerely,
    Noah Gilly

    ReplyDelete